Dissemination of our reviews is an essential part of increasing the reach of our evidence. We provide several options to our authors - Cochrane Corners in Heart (BMJ) or OpenHeart (BMJ) and abridged versions of the review in international journals such as Cardiologia Croatica. Click the menu items to discover our most recent forms of dissemination (last updated November 2021).
A number of our reviews are cited in guidelines and have made significant impact upon policy making. These range from NICE, in the UK, to WHO, globally.
Our 2018 review 'Omega‐3 fatty acids for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease' has informed the latest ESC guideline on CVD prevention. View the guidelines here.
Two of our reviews have also informed the latest ESC guideline for the management of valvular heart disease: Massel DR, Little SH. Antiplatelet and anticoagulation for patients with prosthetic heart valves. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 7 and Huffman MD, Karmali KN, Berendsen MA, Andrei AC, Kruse J, McCarthy PM, Malaisrie SC. Concomitant atrial fibrillation surgery for people undergoing cardiac surgery. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 8.
The 2021 Guideline for the Prevention of Stroke in Patients With Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack: A Guideline From the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association, published in May 2021, cites three Cochrane Heart reviews. The reviews that informed the guidelines are:
- Rees K, Takeda A, Martin N, Ellis L, Wijesekara D, Vepa A, Das A, Hartley L, Stranges S. Mediterranean‐style diet for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2019, Issue 3
- Massel DR, Little SH. Antiplatelet and anticoagulation for patients with prosthetic heart valves. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 7
- Anderson L, Oldridge N, Thompson DR, Zwisler AD, Rees K, Martin N, Taylor RS. Exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation for coronary heart disease: Cochrane systematic review and meta-analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016;67:1–12
[S3-Guideline: Diagnosis, treatment and aftercare of extracranial carotid stenosis]. Berlin: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gefäßchirurgie und Gefäßmedizin - Gesellschaft für operative, endovaskuläre und präventive Gefäßmedizin e.V. (DGG) Available from: https://www.awmf.org/leitlinien/detail/ll/004-028.html
Eight of our reviews have contributed to the latest recommendations by the ESC on the management of chronic coronary syndromes: 2019 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of chronic coronary syndromes: The Task Force for the diagnosis and management of chronic coronary syndromes of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).
- Barth J, Jacob T, Daha I, Critchley JA. Psychosocial interventions for smoking cessation in patients with coronary heart disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015;7:CD006886.
- Anderson L, Thompson DR, Oldridge N, Zwisler AD, Rees K, Martin N, Taylor RS. Exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation for coronary heart disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016;1:CD001800.
- Baumeister H, Hutter N, Bengel J. Psychological and pharmacological interventions for depression in patients with coronary artery disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011;9:CD008012.
- Briones E, Lacalle JR, Marin‐Leon I, Rueda JR. Transmyocardial laser revascularization versus medical therapy for refractory angina. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD003712.
- Clar C, Oseni Z, Flowers N, Keshtkar-Jahromi M, Rees K. Influenza vaccines for preventing cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015;5:CD005050.
- Faris RF, Flather M, Purcell H, Poole‐Wilson PA, Coats AJS. Diuretics for heart failure. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD003838.
- Salazar CA, Basilio Flores JE, Veramendi Espinoza LE, Mejia Dolores JW, Rey Rodriguez DE, Loza Munarriz C. Ranolazine for stable angina pectoris. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017;2:CD011747.
- Schmidt AF, Pearce LS, Wilkins JT, Overington JP, Hingorani AD, Casas JP. PCSK9 monoclonal antibodies for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD011748.
National Collaborating Centre for Primary Care; National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (commissioner). Identification and management of familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH). London: Royal College of General Practitioners. [Updated October 2019.] (NICE CG71).
National Guideline Centre (hosted by the Royal College of Physicians); National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (commissioner). End of life care for adults: service delivery. London: National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; 2019. (NICE NG142). [Issued October 2019].
National Clinical Guideline Centre; National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (commissioner). Hypertension in adults: diagnosis and management. London: The Royal College of Physicians; 2019. (NICE NG136). [originally NICE CG127 issued 2004; now replaced by NG136 issued August 2019].
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Clinical Knowledge Summaries: CVD risk assessment and management. London: National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; 2019. [last revised March 2019].
Baumgartner H, Falk V, Bax JJ, De Bonis M, Hamm C, Holm PJ, et al.; European Society of Cardiology (ESC); European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). 2017 ESC/EACTS Guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease. European Heart Journal. 2017 September;38(36):2739–2791. doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehx391.
National Clinical Guidelines Centre, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (commissioner). Lipid modification: cardiovascular risk assessment and the modification of blood lipids for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease. London: National Institute for Health and Care Excellence; 2014 (NICE CG181). [Issued July 2014, updated September 2016].
Anderson TJ, Grégoire J, Pearson GJ, Barry AR, Couture P, Dawes M, et al. 2016 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines for the management of Dyslipidemia for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in the Adult. Can J Cardiol. 2016 doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2016.07.510.
Cochrane Clinical Answers - under Topic: Heart & Circulation
Most recent Q+A:
The Heart review Exercise‐based cardiac rehabilitation for adults with stable angina has informed the need for a randomised controlled trial to provide high quality evidence as the current evidence base does not yet allow to draw reliable conclusions due to low-quality. See here for details of the NIHR call.
Reviews published in conjunction with The University of Glasgow Cardiac Rehabilitation Cochrane Review Centre have played a role in informing the commissioning of research with three notable examples:
- Rehabilitation Enablement in Chronic Heart Failure (REACH-HF) programme:
REACH-HF aims to develop a new self-help manual for people with heart failure and their caregivers that may help them to manage the condition using the principles of cardiac rehabilitation. The team will then evaluate the clinical effectiveness, cost effectiveness and acceptability of the manual for people with heart failure and their caregivers.
A feasibility study and pilot RCT to establish methods for assessing the acceptability, and clinical and cost-effectiveness of enhanced psychological care (EPC) in cardiac rehabilitation services for patients with new onset depression compared with treatment as usual: CADENCE
- ExTraMATCH II: Exercise-based rehabilitation for chronic heart failure:
Exercise Training for Chronic Heart Failure ExTraMATCH II is an international collaboration which aims to undertake a comprehensive review of contemporary RCT evidence in order to investigate the relationship between exercise training in Heart Failure (HF) and exercise capacity. Using individual participant data (IPD) meta-analysis, the information gained from ExTraMATCH II will inform future clinical and policy decision-making on the use of exercise-based interventions in HF.
Omega-3 supplements do not prevent heart disease, stroke or death (6 November 2018)
View the Cochrane Corner collection in Heart BMJ.
Porritt, Kylie. Exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation for adults with implantable cardioverter defibrillators. British Journal of Community Nursing. 2020. 25(9):460-461. [Cochrane review]
Glavaš D, Mario Ivanuša M. Developments in Diagnosis and Treatment of Heart Failure in 2019. Cardiologia Croatica, 2020. 15(7-8):159-66. [Cochrane review 1 [Cochrane review 2] [Cochrane review 3]
Gómez Otero I, Bouzas Cruz N. ¿Hay evidencia para el bloqueo neurohormonal en pacientes con insuficiencia cardiaca y fracción de eyección conservada? REC: CardioClinics, 2020. 55(3):128-130. [Cochrane review]
Amit G, Nyong J, Morillo CA. Clinical Evidence Synopsis: Efficacy of Catheter Ablation for Nonparoxysmal Atrial Fibrillation. JAMA Cardiology. 2017. 2(7):812–813. [Cochrane review]
Huffman MD, Malaisrie SC, Karmali KN. Clinical Evidence Synopsis: Concomitant Atrial Fibrillation Surgery for People Undergoing Cardiac Surgery. JAMA Cardiology. 2017. 2(3):334–335. [Cochrane review]
Lockwood C. Internet-based interventions for the secondary prevention of coronary heart disease: A Cochrane review summary. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2017. (73):102-104 [Cochrane review]
Pires da Rosa G, Libanio D, Azevedo LF. Analysis of the Cochrane Review: Fibrates for secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease and stroke. Portuguese Journal of Cardiology. 2017. 36(1):55-8. [Cochrane review]
Visit our YouTube channel to see our latest interviews and videos related to our reviews and our work.
COVID-19 and its cardiovascular effects: a systematic review of prevalence studies - Senior author interview featured on Cochrane.org
Featured Review: Physical activity interventions for people with congenital heart disease - First Cochrane Review using Risk of Bias (RoB 2) as part of the formal pilot that was published in the Cochrane Library
Severe aortic stenosis: keyhole treatment or open heart surgery? - Evidently Cochrane blog April 2020
NOACs vs Vitamin K Antagonists in Patients With Anticoagulation Indication Treated With PCI for AFib - Cardiology Advisor January 2020
Interventions for increasing eating of fruit and vegetables in children aged five years and under - Cochrane Knowledge Translation Blogshot - November 2019
Ezetimibe for the prevention of cardiovascular disease and all‐cause mortality events - Cochrane Knowledge Translation Blogshot - September 2019
Which stent is best for heart attacks? - Evidently Cochrane blog January 2018
4 things you need to know about statins - Which.co.uk article 2018
We also tweet about our published reviews and other interesting things relating to the work of our Group. Follow us @CochraneHeart.
Our reviews inform many Wikipedia entries. Citations of some recent reviews:
Fish oil - cites: Omega‐3 fatty acids for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease (2020) and Polyunsaturated fatty acids for the primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease (2018)